Friday, December 23, 2011

FOLK MODERN 9 - REVIEW

FOLK MODERN 9

This gig started whilst I was buttering a piece of toast. Well, at least the anticipation and the thoughts behind it. I was back at my Mum’s middle-class flat in London, eagerly waiting to step out into another cold night in search of the live music buzz.

Before stepping out into the brisk North European (yes, we are actually in Europe you fuckwits) winter air, I was thinking about the title of the gig: Folk Modern 9. Kind of strange, but enticing. I am neither a so called folk ‘purist’ or a nu-folk lover; I was brought up on acoustic, singer-songwriter music and I love playing it and watching others do the same. So, a little about the venue, the vibe and the artists…

As usual, I couldn’t find the venue The Servant Jazz Quarters for beans. Even with the help of my good friend Magic John McGinley’s smart phone, we were wandering around a small patch of Dalston for several minutes before I resorted to the age old tradition of ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS. Funny isn’t it, how all of a sudden that feels like a weird thing to do? Anyways, the venue was ‘left then left round the corner next to Costcutters.’ Marvellous. We headed in, ordered a couple of locally brewed ales that tasted like Tottenham itself - sharp and tangy, with a mostly bitter taste. They got me pretty pissed plus the tins of Carlsberg I sneaked in and poured into my empty pint glass in the toilets. Pikey, moi? Super duper smashed already, the music began, so in no particular order…

First up for was Paul Cook. Good solid performer, simple tunes with a good clear voice. I felt that Paul’s songs would’ve sounded great with a rock band line up behind him, and hope he pursues that direction. The songs had a slight pop edge to them which I liked, so I reckon they’d sound just that little bit better with kit and bass behind them.

Another performer (there were many!) that stood out for me was Genevieve K, an American performance poet from New Jersey. What I liked about her performance was the straight forward love and passion that she clearly has for London, which came through in abundance in her poems about travelling around the UK. I thought she had a lot of energy and a great afro which always ads to the experience! I have a real soft spot for American English poetry, because it has that simultaneous sensation of being semantically familiar but phonologically different (same words, sounds different).

The other artist who surprised me with genuine lyrical dexterity was Paul Goodwin. Again, I thought he’s tunes would’ve sounded that bit better had he been backed up by a band, and the fact that he played with his guitar around his ankles (slight exaggeration) certainly adhered to the rock aesthetic. One lyric about ‘artlessness’ in particular stood in my mind…just really like the word I guess, effortlessly woven into the song.

There were other good performances but I’m gonna finish off with Black Jack Davy and Ali Warren. BJD has one of the strangest voices I’ve ever heard, live or recorded, with an eccentricity reminiscent of Devendra Banhart, delivered with a quiet self confidence I wasn’t expecting from the man. The highlight of the evening for me was watching Ali Warren who I’ve seen play several times and seems to be going from strength to strength. There was less of the showman in this performance and more focus on the songs which was just to my taste. Ali’s new songs are musically diverse (great new song call ‘What We Say’ in 5/4 where he manages to make that disjointed time signature sit easy on the ear with a super duper catchy chorus ‘No matter what we say/matter what we say/matter what we say’) and have a strong narrative element. I listened to some new recordings the other week and recommend everyone to keep an ear out for them.

All in all a good night’s entertainment for free (whoop!) and great to see all the performers just getting out there and doing it. Hats off also to Steven Thompson for putting on the night, and my apologies if I embarrassed my brothers for shouting out ever so slightly unsuitable comments. I just love getting into it!!!

p.s. The person who nicked the sign in the men’s toilets saying drug users will be prosecuted was me. It is now in my bro’s house, where drugs are thankfully not forbidden.

p.p.s. What words can you make out of the bar’s initials SJQ? Can you beat ‘Sexy Jizz Quiz?’ Mery Xmas, love from Jamothy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment